Monday, December 23, 2013

Top Interview Tips


TOP INTERVIEW TIPS

http://www.acetheinterview.com/images/timemachine.gif


1)      Do Your Research:

Find out all you can about the company; how long it’s been around, its purpose, current events etc. Make sure to do research not only on the company’s website, but on news or business sites too.

My very first internship interview that I went to I was asked what I liked and didn’t like about the company’s website. Luckily I had done my research and was able to give an in depth and specific answer which really impressed them


2)      Think About Some Questions They Might Ask You:

There are common questions that many interviewers ask. Practicing what you might say to these answers helps relieve anxiety and allows for a more polished answer.

During one of my first interviews I was not prepared with answers to possible questions that might be asked. When I was asked to describe a situation that was difficult that I overcame it took me a while to scan through all of my experiences and my answer was not strong at all.


3)      Think About Some Questions You Might Ask Them:

What I have found to be the most beneficial in Interviews is having a list of questions to ask the person interviewing you. An interview is not just for the employer to find out if you are a fit for the company, it is finding out whether the company is a fit for you.

One of the best interviews that I ever did was due to the fact that I brought a list of questions. The employer was really impressed and actually told me that it really showed that I cared. They actually ended up upgrading the work I would do as an intern to make it more focused on what I would be best at.


4)      Go There Before Hand:

Being late is embarrassing in any situation, but being late to an interview sets the tone for what you would be like as an employee. When your interview is set, go to the site ahead of time so you can know exactly where it is, and how long it takes to get there. This, aside from eliminating the chance for you to be late, relieves a good amount of pre-interview stress/anxiety.

I had an interview once at a company that had many locations nearby and I went to the wrong building. This made me so stressed out and thinking that I had screwed up my chances. It showed I didn’t know how to follow instructions and I was late to the actual interview. Although the people were very forgiving, I will never forget how unprofessional that made me seem.


5)      Prepare for an Interview that is not Face to Face:

Employers may not be able to meet with you face-to-face whether it be due to lack of time to sit down or the distance being too great to meet with the employer. This can be done over the telephone or via Skype. Here is what I would suggest to do to prepare for these situations:

·        Find a Quiet Space: Distractions can throw off your answers and make you less confident in what you are talking about.

·        When Skyping, make sure your Internet connection is reliable.

·        To feel more comfortable/to ensure eye contact during the Skype interview, you can tape a picture of someone you’re comfortable talking to near the webcam

·        Still have the questions and research prepared, and dress as if it still were a face-to-face interview

·        Make sure what is behind you in your Skype frame is appropriate. My recommendation would be to sit at a desk with a blank wall behind you.



6)      Reputation Etc.:

           --First and foremost have a good resume and cover letter to get your foot in the door. 
           --MAKE SURE ALL OF YOUR FORMS OF SOCIAL MEDIA ARE APPROPRIATE. More and more employers are looking at Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. before the interview, so keep it clean and professional. 
            --Lastly, when you show up to the actual interview, dress to impress; wear clothes that are appropriate and professional. First impressions have a lot of impact. 


7)      Thank Them for Their Time:

Send whomever you meet with a thank you note shortly after the interview. This simple act has the potential to set you apart from other candidates; it also keeps you fresh in the employer’s mind after your interview is complete.


8)      Learn from Past Experiences:

Clearly, as you can see from the rest of this blog, I have taken every interview as an opportunity to reflect and improve. Some of the above personal examples are embarrassing but I learned from my mistakes and it only makes me more confident for my next interview.



If you want more practice before your next big interview schedule an appointment with Career Services to have a Mock Interview. It allows you to make the mistakes that I did without having an actual employer see. It’s a really great resource to have .






No comments:

Post a Comment