Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Internships


I think experience is so much more important than what you learn in the classroom. Myself, being a nursing major, my best learning takes place in the hospital or clinical setting. I feel like sometimes we don't always get those opportunities in school because we are so focused on understanding the theory or course content that we need to know originally. I recently did a nursing internship over the summer and was fortunate enough to make it into the program and work in the hospital shadowing nurses and working with patients. I feel like I learned more through my internship than I did reading my textbook. Experience is everything and the more you do, the more you know. Not only did I learn so much from the multiple nurses I worked with, I networked with this hospital becoming an internal employee and getting my foot in the door for future job opportunities. By showing interest, doing good work, and working for a corporation you may have interest in working for after graduation, you set up opportunities that other graduates in your field may not have. This definitely sets you apart and helps you to set up job opportunities that you may not otherwise have after graduation. If you can get an internship in your field of study you should! It's a rewarding experience and it looks great on your resume!



No comments:

Post a Comment